The only meringue recipe you will ever need!
I promise this is the best meringue recipe for your next pavlova!
This recipe is over 10 years old, my mom found it in a FairLady magazine but it is absolutely delicious!
- It’s marshmallowy texture is better if made the night before.
- Ensure the egg whites are completely free of egg yolks.
- Only top with cream when you are ready to serve otherwise it will make the pavlova soggy.
- 4 Egg Whites, room temperature
- 220g Castor Sugar
- 1 teaspoon White Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 1 teaspoon Corn Flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 lemon
- to serve: 250ml whipping cream + fresh fruit of choice (I love mixed berries)
Preheat the oven to 200 C. Place a section of baking paper on a baking sheet with the marked side facing down. Rub the inside of your mixing bowl with half a lemon to remove any residual grease. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
Add the egg whites to the mixing bowl along with the salt & whisk until firm peaks form. They should have a satiny sheen but still look frothy in texture.
- While whisking very gradually add half the sugar. The meringue should now look thick & glossy
- Mix the white wine vinegar & vanilla essence into the cornflour & fold through the meringue along with the remaining sugar, until incorporated completely.
- Spoon a third of the meringue onto the baking paper & spread into an even circle. This will form the base of the pavlova. Then place spoonfuls around the edge of the base to form the sides of the pavlova.
Place in the lower third of the oven, turn down the temperature to 150°C & bake for 30 minutes.Then lower the temperature to 120°C & bake for 45 minutes. Turn off oven & leave the pavlova in the oven to cool completely.
To serve, spoon whipped cream over the centre of the pavlova & then top with fresh fruit.
Entire pavlova without any topping: 939 calories
Can easily be divided into 6 portions: 157 calories
Protein: 14.4g/ 2.5g
Carbs: 219.9g/ 36.6g
Fats: 0.4g/ 0.1g
Enjoy! Let me know if you try it.